Thursday, April 24, 2014

Spring Has Sprung!

This post is being completed out of necessity.  My daughter is in early labor and I am holding back my instinct to go sit with her, because I know this is the time she and her husband need to be sharing this experience together.  So, I thought, "Distract yourself! If you get this table completed you can participate in Cuisine Kathleen's Spring Tablescape Party afterall."  You see, I had done a post about our Easter Dinner and intended on linking it to Kathleen's party, when I read that the entry had to be "non-Easter".  If you want to see that posting just click here.  So---now that I have the time, I got out my camera, took some pictures and would like to share a table that I hope reflects the colors of spring, particularly the vibrant colors of spring flowers.

Here's The Table:


Here's How It Was Created:

I started with my straw placemats that I got from Kohl's.  Somehow they remind me of the materials that birds like to use to construct their nests.  Our yard has been filled with the melodious chirping of birds who are industriously building nests:  surely a sign that Spring has Sprung!


I decided the table would be the site of a springtime lunch of soup, salad and muffins.  So, I'm using my Metaceramica yellow plates made in Portugal from HomeGoods as chargers:


Next on the dish stack will be these Royal Stafford plates also from HomeGoods.  I love the colorful flowers that seem to be dancing across the plate!  They will hold the salad for lunch:


The next layer are small daisy plates that I found at the supermarket! They are labeled Fresh Decor and come in four colors:  lime green, yellow, turquoise and orange.  I'll serve muffins on this plate:


To top off the stack is a bowl I have been waiting to share with you.  I found 8 of these bowls at a swap meet.  I have no pattern name or maker.  They are just labeled, "Italy".  The man who sold them to me told me he was selling them for a neighbor lady who was "downsizing" her home.  I love their shape and the floral detail at the bottom of the bowl.  It just seems so unique to me.  I'll serve soup in these bowls:



To complete the table setting, I chose my multi-floral napkins from Pier One and the flower napkin rings I also got at Pier One.  The orange flatware came from Target, as did the floral decorated tumblers:



My centerpiece started with a yellow lattice-patterned runner from HomeGoods. I used my Portuguese-made Farval pitcher from Marshall's, filled with faux flowers from Michael's. (I have some white and yellow roses that are blooming in my garden, but I'm so distracted I didn't trust myself with pruning clippers right now.......gee, I wonder how my daughter is doing?!)  I added some other faux flowers wrapped in butcher paper that I found at Michael's, as well.  The pitcher is sitting upon a sunflower plate that I found at a swap meet.  Like my bowls, this plate's only marking is "Italy".  It was in pretty poor shape when I found it, but a good scrubbing helped its personality come through:



So, this is my tablescape for spring!! Let's see, it's taken me about 2 hours to complete this and my daughter hasn't called yet to let me know if the hospital is keeping her, or sending her home until her labor progresses more.  Well--I guess I could start cleaning out my pantry!  With four daughters and soon-to-be eighth grandchild, you'd think I would get used to all of this........but the thrill doesn't diminish.  And, after all, this is my youngest, too. (My baby girl giving birth to her own baby girl!) Thank you for letting me distract myself!  I'll let you know how it all turns out!!




I'll be joining Kathleen at  www.cuisinekathleen.com  for her Spring Tablescape Party and Susan at www.betweennapsontheporch.net for next week's Tablescape Thursday.  Thank you, ladies, for hosting these parties!

I love to read your comments!  They are always appreciated! 

6 comments:

  1. What a fun colorful spring table, Rosie! Those adorable little flower dessert plates can be used over and over this spring and summer. Love the flatware, is it vintage?
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, Your table is delightful. So cheerful and springy. Those little bowls will serve you well. So charming. I know you will enjoy them.

    Hope you have heard something by now. I understand exactly how you feel and I would need to be busy too. I say go for the pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! You have captured the feel of Spring in your lovely colorful Spring floral tablescape. I am seriously in love with your plates and the charming white bowl. Let's see, I love the yellow base plate, the gorgeous floral salad plate is divine, the pretty sculptured orange flower desert plate is fabulous, and the stunning white petal bowl is to die for! Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice table I really like all the layers it makes it look like a flower pteals opening up.Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful table Martha! So spring-y! and good for you for distracting yourself instead of sitting and worrying! I hope by now you have good news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you on your new addition! :)
    Lovely table; love your great finds from the Swap Meet, especially the sunflower plate!!

    ReplyDelete