Saturday, March 2, 2019

Ode to Spring

It's March 1st today, and I woke up with a case of Spring Fever! So, I decided to create a tablescape in honor of the season that is now upon us-----well, mostly.  In Southern California, there isn't too much distinction between seasons, but this year our Winter has been punctuated with RAIN, RAIN, RAIN! Maybe that's why I have Spring Fever: because I want our sun to shine again! (Disclaimer: I was born and raised in New York, so I know I shouldn't complain about rain being an aggravating weather event, given the terrible winter snowstorms that have been plaguing the rest of the country. I know how horrendous snow and ice can be. I will admit to being VERY spoiled with California weather, so I apologize for groaning right now.......just remember, we still have to worry about the earth shaking beneath our feet from time to time.....)

Here is the table I created:




Here is HOW I created it:

I started with a yellow placemat that I had found at HomeGoods.  I love the appliques on these mats. They seem perfect for a Spring table.




My dish stack started with these Chinoiserie plates I found at HomeGoods a few years ago.  I liked them so much, I purchased 4 dinner plates, 4 salad plates, a pitcher and a small tray: all in the same pattern. It meant that I had to travel to 3 different HomeGoods stores, but I got the pieces I wanted.  They were definitely calling to me from my dish storage closet when I got started creating my table today!



Next came the salad plate:





I topped the plate stack with blue linen napkins found at Old World Market, as well as floral napkin rings I found there.  I've always loved the color combination of yellow and blue, and it seems perfect for a spring table!



I finished the place setting with my late mother-in-law's International Silverplate that I was gifted. I love this pattern, called Heritage .  I then decided my table would be set for a champagne luncheon, so I added crystal champagne "boats" I found in an antique store in Clovis, CA. I love the delicate floral pattern that wraps around the boat.





My centerpiece started out with the matching rectangular tray. I then found some blue and yellow faux flowers and placed them in the matching pitcher.  The ceramic chinoiserie balls came from an antiquing expedition I went on with my niece when we were visiting Yardley, PA.  Hi, Patty!  I extended the look of the centerpiece with blue tapers that are sitting in sweet glass taper holders I found in an Animal Rescue Gift Shop in Ventura, CA.  I love the shape of these holders. They look like glass flowers: if you look closely, you can see the petals of the flower.




To add to the Spring Table theme, I finished off my table with a pair of ceramic chinoiserie birds; so sweet; as well as one of my Portuguese ceramic pieces: a watering can ( if Spring showers can't bring Spring flowers, a watering can should come in handy.)




It's raining again today! California needed all this rain to help end our extended drought, but I'll be glad when our skies are blue again and the sun in shining. I think I'll leave this table up for a couple of days to remind me that Spring will soon be here!



I'll be linking up to Susan's www.betweennapsontheporch.net for Tablescape Thursday and Christine's Dishing It! and Digging It! at www.rustic-refined.com. Please visit these sites to enjoy some wonderful creativity! Thank you, Ladies, for hosting these parties.






No comments:

Post a Comment